Personal data we may collect about you
How we use your personal data
We will use your personal data for the purposes described in the data protection notice that was given to you at the time your data were obtained. Depending on the account type selected during registration these purposes may include:
- to help us identify you and any accounts you hold with us,
- research, statistical analysis and behavioural analysis,
- marketing—see 'Marketing and opting out', below,
- fraud prevention and detection;
billing and order fulfilment,
- customising this website and its content to your particular preferences,
- to notify you of any changes to this website or to our services that may affect you,
- security vetting; and
improving our services.
Marketing and opting out
By registering and creating an account with us, you consent to receive occasional important email updates about our services and how they affect you. You can delete your account at any time through the process described here
. If you have also given permission through your preferences, you may also receive automatic email notifications of current book promotions or blog articles that may be of interest to you. If you prefer not to receive these notifications, you can opt out at any time by un-ticking the appropriate option in the email.
Disclosure of your personal data
The only circumstance under which your personal data would be disclosed to a third party would be to assist law enforcement agencies in connection with any investigation to help prevent or prosecute unlawful activity.
Keeping your data secure
We will use technical and organisational measures to safeguard your personal data, for example:
- access to your account is controlled by a password and username that are unique to you
- all passwords are encrypted prior to storage
- personal data is only stored on secure servers
- reasonable precautions have been taken in the development of our software to prevent the majority of known cyber attacks
While we will use all reasonable efforts to safeguard your personal data, you acknowledge that the use of the internet is not entirely secure and for this reason we cannot guarantee the security or integrity of any personal data that are transferred from you or to you via the internet.
We may monitor and record communications with you (such as emails) for the purpose of quality assurance, monitoring and training.
Information about other individuals
If you give us information on behalf of someone else, you confirm that the other person has appointed you to act on his/her behalf and has agreed that you can:
give consent on his/her behalf to the processing of his/her personal data;
receive on his/her behalf any data protection notices;
give consent to the transfer of his/her personal data abroad; and
give consent to the processing of his/her personally sensitive data on their uploaded user profiles.
You have the right at any time to delete your account with us via the process described here
, whereupon all personal data relating to your account will be permanently erased from our database.
Our contact details
We welcome your feedback and questions. You can contact us here
- keep track of your settings and preferences as you move from one page to another
- recognise you when you return to this website.
- make your online experience more efficient and enjoyable.
We may work with a number of third-party technology and service suppliers who may also set cookies on our website. These include Google, Amazon, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. These third-party suppliers are responsible for the cookies they set on our site. If you want further information please go to the website for the relevant third party.
How to turn off cookies
If you do not want to accept cookies, you can change your browser settings so that cookies are not accepted. If you do this, please be aware that you will lose much of the functionality of this website. For further information about cookies and how to disable them please go to Allaboutcookies.org